My favorite thing about Christmas are the traditions--traditions that are based around our Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the reason we have so much to celebrate! It has truly been enjoyable for me to ponder the birth and life of my Savior this season. My little family will be having Christmas on our own for the very first time this year. At first I was sad, then anxious about what traditions I "needed" to start doing with my children, but then finally, it hit me that most of the year, we are already doing our Christmas traditions: making bread & goodies for our friends, reading the scriptures, inviting people to church, learning the stories of Jesus, having FHE, trying to be thoughtful towards eachother, etc., etc. Christmas time just includes a tree & pretty lights, as well as a big meal to plan for, which I seem to have been doing a lot lately, anyway. And then everyone else helps add to the season: Mom Woodbury's 12 Days of Christmas, The Payne tradion of doing acts of service to make a soft bed for baby Jesus, Christmas cards & updates from loved-ones (and even for the "thoughts" of writing a family update :). I feel truly blessed to know my Savior! He is the reason for this and every other good season. He is the reason we have hope and joy in this life--because He made it possible to have that true joy in the next life, as well.
Friday, December 17, 2010
Traditions
I cannot believe Christmas is in a week!!! But I am lovin' the season, even if it is shorter this year.
My favorite thing about Christmas are the traditions--traditions that are based around our Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the reason we have so much to celebrate! It has truly been enjoyable for me to ponder the birth and life of my Savior this season. My little family will be having Christmas on our own for the very first time this year. At first I was sad, then anxious about what traditions I "needed" to start doing with my children, but then finally, it hit me that most of the year, we are already doing our Christmas traditions: making bread & goodies for our friends, reading the scriptures, inviting people to church, learning the stories of Jesus, having FHE, trying to be thoughtful towards eachother, etc., etc. Christmas time just includes a tree & pretty lights, as well as a big meal to plan for, which I seem to have been doing a lot lately, anyway. And then everyone else helps add to the season: Mom Woodbury's 12 Days of Christmas, The Payne tradion of doing acts of service to make a soft bed for baby Jesus, Christmas cards & updates from loved-ones (and even for the "thoughts" of writing a family update :). I feel truly blessed to know my Savior! He is the reason for this and every other good season. He is the reason we have hope and joy in this life--because He made it possible to have that true joy in the next life, as well.
...This is one of the Payne Traditions we are carrying on: B made this manger 2 days ago (I love it!). For every act of service we do this month, we get to put a cotton-ball in the manger. Our goal is to make a very soft bed for Jesus on Christmas morning, when we will sing "Silent Night" and lay Him in his manger (using Lizzy's doll).
My favorite thing about Christmas are the traditions--traditions that are based around our Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the reason we have so much to celebrate! It has truly been enjoyable for me to ponder the birth and life of my Savior this season. My little family will be having Christmas on our own for the very first time this year. At first I was sad, then anxious about what traditions I "needed" to start doing with my children, but then finally, it hit me that most of the year, we are already doing our Christmas traditions: making bread & goodies for our friends, reading the scriptures, inviting people to church, learning the stories of Jesus, having FHE, trying to be thoughtful towards eachother, etc., etc. Christmas time just includes a tree & pretty lights, as well as a big meal to plan for, which I seem to have been doing a lot lately, anyway. And then everyone else helps add to the season: Mom Woodbury's 12 Days of Christmas, The Payne tradion of doing acts of service to make a soft bed for baby Jesus, Christmas cards & updates from loved-ones (and even for the "thoughts" of writing a family update :). I feel truly blessed to know my Savior! He is the reason for this and every other good season. He is the reason we have hope and joy in this life--because He made it possible to have that true joy in the next life, as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very very cool. LOOOOOVE Brian's manger! A definite improvement from our basket.
ReplyDelete