Sunday, March 29, 2009

Snail Farms

I decided to let Faye & Daisy try their luck with a snail farm. They sure love playing with those slimy things. I was really hesitant once they let them out on my kitchen table.

Faye sure had fun deciding who was the Mommy, Daddy, grandmas, papas, uncles, aunts, cousins, friends, etc.

At first, Daisy was worried they were going to get her, or fall off the table, or escape. She would squeal every time one moved, but she did warm up enough to touch a "baby" snail.
After that she started naming them: "Carter" (a good friend), "Wiz-a-bif" (Elizabeth-all the baby snails), and that was about as far as she got.

I do have to say that it has a sad ending. The girls ended up killing their snails--not viciously. Between running with their farms, an occasion drop every 1 minute, Lizzy trying to pick them apart, and Mommy's lack of skills with care-taking (snails, anyway), they didn't really stand much of a chance. I quietly disposed of them, so the girls would not be heart-broken.:)



2 comments:

  1. Ehehe. Last year our area had a TERRIBLE problem w/ Box Elder bugs. Jesi was terrified at first until Bart taught her that they were "cute." She started collecting them in jars and trying to feed them leaves, but alas we had the wrong leaves, so like your snails they all died. I finally felt so bad for the poor starving bugs that I had to tell her no more. BUT I am thrilled that I don't have to call Bart to come get the yucky bugs anymore... I just call Jesi!!! ;) (jk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you've got your nature study done for the week--think about all the habits they're developing and they don't even know it (habit of observation, habit of attention)!

    ReplyDelete